Friday, August 21, 2009

ruth


Father said that several years ago, while instructing a couple before their marriage, he told them that the vocation of marriage involves the whole family. The young man said, "You mean I have to take on her whole family?!"
"You do." said Father.

This is well illustrated in today's first reading about Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi. Instead of returning to her people after her husband died Ruth said to Naomi,

“Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you!
For wherever you go, I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge,
your people shall be my people, and your God my God.”
From all accounts it was Ruth who was the the better person in this story...the other daughter-in-law went back to her homeland...I would have too...I am certainly no Ruth!!
Things have changed since the days of Ruth and Naomi...and probably not for the better.
The vocation of marriage is a promise to God.. promises are not always easy to keep and we seem to lack fortitude these days.

Listening to: http://www.mtv.com/videos/a-ha/7846/take-on-me.jhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment