Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What a conversion story!

Father quoted the following text at daily mass this morning. Naturally, I had to look it up when I got home. Father said St Augustine was
a " Woodstock kind of guy " before his conversion, brought about certainly, by dutiful prayers from his mother, and that his, is one of the best autobiographies ever written.


Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!
You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.
In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.
You were with me, but I was not with you. Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all.
You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.
You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.
You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you. I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more. You touched me, and I burned for your peace.

from The Confessions of Saint Augustine
Painting of St Augustine by Botticelli

No comments:

Post a Comment