Sunday, December 21, 2008

all is calm

Father spoke today of the "panic' Mary must have felt when the angel Gabriel visited her in Nazareth. He feels that the modern artists renditions are probably more accurate than those "of old". . As I listened to Father's homily I was trying to visualize a 'panic stricken', Mary full of grace. For the life of me I just can't imagine it...distress maybe, but not panic...not Mary.
Even in this pretty 'far out', modern painting she looks quite calm.
One of the artists he mentioned was Henry Tanner so I looked up his depiction when I got home, half expecting some wild-eyed girl filled with terror...what I saw was a sweet, humble maiden, in her cozy bedroom listening intently to what was being asked of her. Actually she kinda reminds me of someone.

My latest attempt at creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment